[R] Setting Plot() Window Shape

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 31 17:42:13 CEST 2014

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  I've read ?plot, ?plot.default, and ?plot.window to learn how to change
> the shape of the plot from a square to a rectangle. plot.window suggests
> that the aspect (asp) parameter is appropriate but that associates the x
> axis size to the value of the y axis and, plot.window suggests that it is
> better to make such adjustments with plot itself. My Web searches have not
> found examples of how to do this.

   Clarification:

   If I specify x11 <- (width = 6, height = 3) (as an example) then the
display has that shape. However, when I want to redirect the output to a pdf
file with the pdf() command, the resulting plot has reverted to a square
rather than the specified width and height used to display it on the screen.

   What do I do to retain the specified width and height in the pdf output?

Rich