[R] Calculating RMSE in R from hurdle regression object

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Mar 12 22:51:10 CET 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Tim Marcella wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My data is characterized by many zeros (82%) and overdispersion. I have
> chosen to model with hurdle regression (pscl package) with a negative
> binomial distribution for the count data. In an effort to validate the
> model I would like to calculate the RMSE of the predicted vs. the observed
> values. From my reading I understand that this is the calculated on the raw
> residuals generated from the model output.

In count regressions (and other GLM-type models) the raw residuals are not
necessarily a good measure because the observations are always
heteroscedastic. Low predicted counts also have low variances while higher
counts have high variances.

> This is the formula I used
>
> H1.RMSE <- sqrt(mean(H1$residuals^2))     # Where H1 is my fitted hurdle
> model
>
> I get 46.7 as the RMSE. This seems high to me based on the model
> results. Assuming my formula and my understanding of RMSE is correct
> (and please correct me if I am wrong) I question whether this is an
> appropriate use of validation for this particular structure of model.
> The hurdle model correctly predicts all of my zeros. The predictions I
> get from the fitted model are all values greater than zero. From my
> readings I understand that the predictions from the fitted hurdle model
> are means generated for the particular covariate environment based on
> the model coefficients.

Yes.

> If this is truly the case it does not make sense to compare these means
> to the observations. This will generate large residuals (only 18% of the
> observations contain counts greater than 0, while the predicted counts
> all exceed 0). It seems like comparing apples to oranges.

Well, it compares the predicted means to the observations. It's not apples
and oranges but they're also not exactly the same thing. Looking at this
thread where a similar question was asked might help:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2011-June/279765.html