[R] BoxPlot basic help

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 18:18:32 CET 2014

Hi,
May be this helps:
dat <- read.table(text="Designation Basic
ASA         .25
ASA         .28
ASA         .32
TASA       .45
TASA       .33
TASA       .43",sep="",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
 boxplot(Basic~Designation,data=dat,col=2:3)
#or
library(ggplot2)
 ggplot(dat,aes(x=Designation,y=Basic,fill=Designation))+geom_boxplot()

A.K.

Hello - I've been away from stat programming for a very long time and
am just getting back into it. I'm not used to a non GUI interface which
is where I'm running into problems with R.

I have a data set that i'd like to use to create boxplots.

the dataset sample looks as follows

Designation Basic
ASA         .25
ASA         .28
ASA         .32
TASA       .45
TASA       .33
TASA       .43

I have my grouping variable under 'designation' that i would like to use to create the boxplot.

Could i request some help on the syntax to use after i have read
 this data file into a variable, say 'data' to group the information as
per the grouping variable ? how do i define the grouping variable and
use it in the boxplot command ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. in addition, if
you could also point me to some basic training guides, that would be
helpful as well.

Thanks!

Raol