[R] AIX 7.1 and R build problems

Mike Beddo Mike.Beddo at dataventures.com
Wed Mar 5 23:28:26 CET 2014

Has anyone managed to build R-3.0.2 from source on AIX 7.1 using gcc 4.2.0. The configure script finishes with:

checking whether wctrans exists and is declared... no
checking whether iswblank exists and is declared... no
checking whether wctype exists and is declared... no
checking whether iswctype exists and is declared... no
configure: error: Support for MBCS locales is required.

Scanning through the config.log the configure script seems to be happy with the C99 compliance at hand. I have tried reading NEWS, README, and R-Help archives but I can't get past this. I'm all Google'd out. Is my compiler too old?

Michael Beddo
Senior Scientist

Data Ventures, Inc.
1475 Central Ave. Suite 230  |  Los Alamos, NM 87544
tel  505.695.2132
http://www.dataventures.com  |  "Advanced - Effective - Actionable - Proven. Analytics"