[R] Sweave: cat() in a chunk with option results=tex doesn't producelinebreaks at the end of a character string anymore

Gerrit Eichner Gerrit.Eichner at math.uni-giessen.de
Wed Mar 5 13:32:29 CET 2014

Hello, everyone,

I am struggling with an Sweave-problem that didn't occur sofar (and I have
no clue what I might have changed in my system; see below). The following
example *.Rnw file's only task is (for simplicity) to output text with a
little bit of TeX-code with linebreaks (e. g., to be better readable):

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Text 1 (not through cat()) followed by a double-backslash and
a blank line, i.e., a linebreak.\\

<<echo=FALSE, results=tex>>=
cat( "Text 2 (through cat()) with a respected newline here\n",
      "and likewise two tabs here\t\t followed by two double-backslashes ",
      "and IGNORED newline escape characters at the end.\\\\ \n \n",
      sep = "")

cat( "Text 3 (through cat()) just to finish this example and ",
      "with also IGNORED newline escapes at its end. \n \n", sep = "")
@
\end{document}

When processed by Sweave I obtain the following TeX file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{Sweave}
\begin{document}
Text 1 (not through cat()) followed by a double-backslash and
a blank line, i.e., a linebreak.\\

Text 2 (through cat()) with a respected newline here
and likewise two tabs here		 followed by two
double-backslashes and IGNORED newline escape characters at the end.\\
Text 3 (through cat()) to finish this example and with also IGNORED
newline escapes at its end. \end{document}

the point being that the linebreaks (\n) at the ends of the output
character strings have been completely ignored.

I wasn't successful in searching the archive, RSeek, SE and the like. Any
idea where and how to continue to search, or what to do to get back
Sweave's "old" behavior (except for reinstalling R ... which of course is
still an option)? Thanks for any hint!

  Best regards  --  Gerrit

PS:
> sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.2 (2013-09-25)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252  LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252

attached base packages:
[1] graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  stats     methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] fortunes_1.5-2

[1] grid_3.0.2      lattice_0.20-27 tools_3.0.2