[R] mixing grid and traditional graphics

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 19:24:21 CEST 2014

If you really want to mix base and grid graphics (they don't play
nicely together as you have noticed) then you should really use the
gridBase package.  There is at least one package for doing maps using
grid (ggmap or ggMaps or something similar) and there is the regular
text function for adding text to a base graph, either of those may be
easier than mixing.

Since you are plotting the map after the text, whether the text is
visible or not depends on the background drawn for the map, I expect
that this differs for the different devices.  Would you be surprised
if you wrote some text on a piece of paper, then layed a paper map
over the top and could not read the paper?  If you want the text
visible on top of the map, do the text after the map.