[R] Rstudio: is it possible to create a document out of a working script?

Luca Cerone luca.cerone at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 11:40:23 CEST 2014

Hi Berend, sorry if it OT (though I think that the process is pretty
much Rstudio independent, since what Rstudio does is wrap up knitr and
their package Rmarkdown,
but all the process can be run from the shell).

Bob, so far this is what I do, but it is not ideal for two reasons:
1. I would like my report to be a step by step guide of what the
script does. Wrapping the scripts in small functions, subscripts
doesn´t help,
because in the report what you would see is "source("subscript.r"),
not the content of the subscript.

2. in a way I would need the exact opposite of what knitr and
Rmarkdown do (at least by default). I would like to document my script
in a way that can be run independently of the report and that, when
neede, could use the comments to generate the report, similarly to how
roxygen2 works when writing the documentation.

Thanks a lot for the help,
apologies again if this is OT (if so please remove the thread and I
will ask in the the Rstudio support).

Cheers,
Luca

--