[R] Mapping

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jun 6 20:35:25 CEST 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 3:15 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:

> Tom Detzel <Tom.Detzel <at> propublica.org> writes:
>

>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> Apologies in advance if this has been covered.
>>
>> I'm taking on a simple mapping project. What packages, tutorials and
>> examples would you recommend for a
>> beginning mapper in R?
>
> The general advice is to look for CRAN Task Views, and in your case the
> Spatial one is probably the most helpful, as it gives a dense overview to
> start from. Also look at the R-bloggers aggregation service, for example
> blogs by Oscar Perpigñán or James Cheshire, and others. The examples will
> vary a lot depending on your application area.
>
> Roger

Roger is perhaps being too modest. I think many people would say that the first resource to acquire would be "Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R", for which Bivand is the first author. The first half of the book lays out the data structures in the 'sp' package which forms the core of most other spatial/mapping packages and presents the technical background that will be needed.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA