[R] print.matrix

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 31 01:50:35 CET 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 6:46 AM, Göran Broström wrote:

> In the documentation of 'prmatrix' (base) I read, under Details:
>
> ‘prmatrix’ is an earlier form of ‘print.matrix’
>
> but 'print' doesn't seem to have a 'matrix' method. And in the 'Examples' section:
>
> chm <- matrix(...
> chm # uses print.matrix()
>
> Is this a bug in the documentation?
>
> R-3.0.2 on ubuntu 13.10.

While waiting for someone who actually knows the answer I will tangentially note that there is a write.matrix in MASS that gives the same console output as prmatrix.

MASS::write.matrix(m6 <- diag(6) )
1 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0 1

Unlike prmatrix, write.matrix does not return its argument.
--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA