[R] Diagnostic and helper functions for defective & hard-to-import files

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 30 06:49:10 CET 2014

On Jan 29, 2014, at 7:27 PM, Andrew Hoerner wrote:

> Thanks, Duncan!
>
> I installed a hex viewer -- did not realize there was also one in R.
>
> I found the documentation for the individual showNonASCII and
> showNonASCIIFile functions, but I could not find the usual package PDF. The
> tools package does not seem to be listed on cran in the alphabetical list
> of packages, though I did find an undated HTML version. Am I looking in the
> wrong place?
>
> Warmest regards, andrewH

It's part of the ordinary base installation . This is its DESCRIPTION file.

Package: tools
Version: 3.0.2
Author: R Core Team
Maintainer: R Core Team <R-core at r-project.org>
License: Part of R 3.0.2
Built: R 3.0.2; x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0; 2013-09-25 11:51:01 UTC; unix

Just as you will not find `utils` or `stats`. They do get their own directory under your library of system packages.

--
David.