[R] Setting up an R server.

aldi aldi at dsgmail.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 22 12:40:15 CET 2014

Hi John,

A server it means a computer that has an operating system, where you can
run R. For example, a Linux OS can be run in a computer connected to
your Local Area Network at home. There you can install R and you can
communicate with it via batch mode or interactive. The simplest is you
become root of your system and use a software yum to install R (yum
install R). As Linux OS I use Fedora (free software), but one can use a
number of other flavors of Linux OS. This software (yum) will place the
executable of R in one of the bin dirs which is reachable from any
directory you enter in the system. What you need after it is an ssh
(secure shell) from the apps of ipad (apple), or if windows (x-win
software). At home, as long as you have connected your server with your
router, you can reach the server with no problem, by learning local
addresses or defining a name to the system, while remotely (distant from
your home) you need to know a fixed system address (probably you need to
buy it) from your internet company. If more than one server you can do R
parallel computing at home by using software such as gridware to
distribute jobs.

Hope this gives an idea about what you are planning to do :-) .

Best,

Aldi