[R] PCA factominer package, question about changing labels in individuals factor map

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Tue Jan 21 22:35:37 CET 2014

Try

rownames(dat) <- dat[,1]

before running PCA.

-------------------------------------
David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org
[mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On Behalf Of Andy.P
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:18 PM
To: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: [R] PCA factominer package, question about changing
labels in individuals factor map

I am looking to do a PCA with the factominer package on a
dataset of mine,
named dat. The individuals in my dataset have character names,
represented
in the first column of my dataset, but since they aren't
quantitative I
can't include that column in my PCA analysis. Leading to the
command >
res.pca = PCA(dat[,3:8], scale.unit=TRUE, ncp=5, graph=T)

This is all well and good, except when my individuals factor map
shows up,
each data point is labeled as a number and not as their actual
character
names.
<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683924/Screen_Shot_2014-01
-21_at_12.19.23_PM.png>

 How do I go about getting the map to display the character
names? If I
include the column with the names I get an error because it's
not
quantitative. I know it can be done because I've seen it on the
decathlon
dataset, I just don't know what they're doing differently to get
those
character names on the map.