[R] SE for R-squared

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 23:56:23 CET 2014

On 12 Jan 2014, at 21:36 , John C Frain <frainj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have a look at
>
> http://davegiles.blogspot.ie/2013/10/more-on-distribution-of-r-squared.html

Or head directly for the Wikipedia page for the noncentral beta distribution (and/or noncentral F). Giles doesn't really do the non-null distribution.

It you really want the mean and SE, you'll need to refresh your knowledge about confluent hypergeometric functions, though.

I was a bit bemused by Giles' us of the beta distribution of R^2 in the null case to prove that it is an upwardly biased estimator of zero. I would have thought that to be rather obvious.

Anyways, as has already been pointed out,

CrossValidated is -----> over there.

- Peter D.