[R] Reading SDMX Files in R

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 15:07:56 CET 2014

Dear All,
I often need to access some data files which are available (also) as files
in the SDMX format.
For instance, this is the case of the OECD (http://www.oecd.org/) data.
In order to automate some processes, I need to retrieve the SDMX data from
a url and read the content into an R data frame.
I did some online research

http://bit.ly/19HFVqe
http://bit.ly/19HG0dA
http://bit.ly/19HGNeq
http://bit.ly/19HH6WJ

but it seems to me there is not (yet) a mature R package to parse the
content of an SDMX file.
Correct?
In any case, and to fix the ideas, does anybody know how to read into a
data frame the content of this SDMX file

http://stats.oecd.org/restsdmx/sdmx.ashx/GetData/MSTI_PUB/G_XGDP.AUS+AUT+BEL+CAN+CHL+CZE+DNK+EST+FIN+FRA+DEU+GRC+HUN+ISL+IRL+ISR+ITA+JPN+KOR+LUX+MEX+NLD+NZL+NOR+POL+PRT+SVK+SVN+ESP+SWE+CHE+TUR+GBR+USA+OECD+EU28+EU15+NMEC+ARG+CHN+ROU+RUS+SGP+ZAF+TWN/OECD?startTime=2000&endTime=2014

or, for short,

http://bit.ly/1hFN0b0

?

Any suggestion is welcome.