[R] metafor package

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Feb 12 14:39:29 CET 2014

Good advice already from Michael and S Ellison.

I must apologize for the 'hack-job of a function' called forest() in metafor. I realized a while ago that people would prefer more fine-grained control over the various elements of the plot (this has come up a few times before). I think Paul Murrell described the issue best in his R Journal article:

http://journal.r-project.org/archive/2012-2/RJournal_2012-2_Murrell.pdf

But it is what it is at this point.

I noticed the problem with the dotted line of the credibility interval myself a while back. In an updated version of the metafor package (to be released at some point in the near future), there will at least be the possibility to control the color of that line. Maybe also the line type (a dotted line is indeed often too faint).

You can try changing efac=2 (or something larger than 1) to at least make the whiskers longer.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology