[R] How to write a regression model for finding the radius of a cylinder given height and volume

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Tue Feb 11 12:02:13 CET 2014

Hello,

It really looked like homework. As for your question, maybe this helps.

URL <- "http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4685033/cylinder.dat"
cyl <- read.table(URL, header = TRUE)
plot(vol ~ ht, data = cyl)

The vectors you want are simply

cyl$vol
cyl[["vol"]]
cyl[[1]]

and the same for height.
To find the radius you can note that your formula is equivalent to
V=pi*r^2*H and use something like (note that the model has no intercept)

fit <- lm(vol ~ 0 + ht, data = cyl)
summary(fit)

r <- sqrt(coef(fit)/pi)

For linear models in R start by reading the file R-intro.pdf that comes
with any installation of R, folder 'doc' chapter 11 Statistical models in R.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas