[R] GLM weights for the Poisson family

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 5 02:41:18 CET 2014

You should direct your inquiry to R-help, not to me personally.  I am
taking the liberty of cc-ing my reply back to the list.

I really haven't the time at the moment to think the issue through
thoroughly, but off the top of my head:  If you are going to use
weighted log likelihoods then any comparison of models that you engage
in should involve the *same* weights, otherwise you doing the good old
apples-with-oranges thing.

So yes, the weights will change the log-likelihood and the AIC.  And so
they should.  And if you use AIC to compare models which are
meaningfully comparable (id est, have the same weights) this is not a
problem.

As I say, this is off the top of my head.  Others older (???) and wiser
than I may correct me.

cheers,

Rolf Turner