[R] creating an equivalent of r-help on r.stackexchange.com ?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 03:54:07 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at me.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As I have noted in a prior reply in this thread, which began last November, I don't post in SO, but I do keep track of the traffic there via RSS feeds. However, the RSS feeds are primarily for new posts and do not seem to update with follow ups to the initial post.
>
> I do wish that they would provide an e-mail interface, which would help to address some of the issues raised here today. They do provide notifications on comments to posts, as do many other online fora. However, there is no routine mailing of new posts with a given tag (eg. 'R'), at least as far as I can see, as I had searched there previously for that functionality. That would be a nice "push" based approach, as opposed to having to go to the web site.

You can set up email subscriptions for specific tags.  See the
preferences section of your account.  I get regular emails of the
r_filter.
Here are the first few lines of an email I juist received (I have
pasted it into this text plain email but they are received as HTML and
there are links to the specific questions).

159+ new questions in r filter on stackexchange.com

________________________________

R: read .dta file and use value labels only for selected variables to
create a factor

What is the easiest way to read a .dta file in R and convert only
specific variables as factors, using Stata value labels? I didn't find
a way to specify the convert.factors option in the foreign ...
Tagged: r stataby tfr on stackoverflow.com

sort.col command in Splus to R

I have a code in Splus, but have to convert it into R, which is not a
big thing. However I am very new to both softwares. This is the code I
am struggling with: bestmodind <- ...
Tagged: r matrix s-plusby akeenlogician on stackoverflow.com