[R] RAxML using R

Luigi Marongiu marongiu.luigi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 00:09:23 CET 2014

Dear all,
I would like to run RAxML for phylogenetic analysis as indicated on
Paradis' "Analysis of phylogenetic and evolution with R" (p. 158) thus I
tried to use the package phyloch and its function raxml(). I am using
Linux Ubuntu 14 and I was able to successfully install RAxML on my machine.
However phyloch is not supported by CRAN and the package as provided by
the author on http://www.christophheibl.de/Rpackages.html cannot be
installed -- or at least I could not using the Software centre.
I found a function on http://www.christophheibl.de/raxml.R that should
be the actual script of the function raxml(). However I do not know how
to implement such function. Shall I just copy it into my script? But
then I will have hundreds of lines of code that will mess with my
script. Can I create a kind of package that I can call from my code? Or
is there another way to send the data to the linux shell and call the
raxml function?
Could anybody help?
Thank you
Luigi