[R] Help with finding R tutors for microarray analysis, next generation sequencing and constructing gene interaction networks needed

thomas hahn thomas.f.hahn2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 22:59:31 CET 2014

Help with finding R tutors for microarray analysis, next generation
sequencing and constructing gene interaction networks needed

Hi

I am a visually impaired bioinformatics graduate student using microarray
data for my master’s thesis aimed at deciphering the mechanism by which the
yeast wild type can suppress the rise of free reactive oxygen species (ROS)
induced by caloric restriction (CR) but the Atg15 and Erg6 knockout mutant
cannot.

Since my remaining vision is very limited I need very high magnification.
But that makes my visual field very small.  Therefore I need somebody to
guide me remotely through the R environment and teach me how to best use
the R packages for bioinformatics, especially for microarray analysis, next
generation sequencing and constructing gene and pathway interaction
networks.  This is very difficult for me to figure out without assistance
because Zoomtext, my magnification and text to speech software, on which I
am depending because I am almost blind, has problems reading out aloud many
R related websites to me.  And even those websites it can read, it can only
read sequentially from left to right and then from top to bottom.
Unfortunately, this way of acquiring, finding, selecting and processing new
information and answering my questions is too tiresome, exhausting,
ineffective and especially way too time consuming for graduating with a PhD
in bioinformatics before my funding runs out despite being severely limited
by my visual disability.

Since I am legally blind the rehab agency is giving me money to pay tutors
for this purpose.  Could you please help me getting in touch regarding this
with anybody, who could potentially be interested in teaching me R thus
saving me time for acquiring new information and skills, which I need to
finish my thesis on time, so that I can remain eligible for funding to
continue in my bioinformatics PhD program despite being almost blind?  The
tutoring can be done remotely via TeamViewer 5 and Skype.  Hence, it does
not matter where my tutors are physically located.  Currently I have tutors
in Croatia and UK.  But since they both work full time jobs while working
on their PhD dissertation they only have very limited time to teach me
online.  Could you therefore please forward this request for help to
anybody, who could potentially be interested or, who could connect me to
somebody, who might be, because my graduation and career depend on it?  Who
else would you recommend me to contact regarding this?

Could you please contact me directly via Email (Thomas.F.Hahn2 at gmail.com)
or Skype (tfh002) because my text to speech software cannot read this forum
website?

I thank you very much in advance for your thoughts, ideas, suggestions,
recommendations, time, help, efforts and support.

With very warm regards,

*Thomas Hahn*

Cell phone: (318) 243 3940

Skype ID: tfh002