[R] issue on installation of RCurl on Debian Wheezy

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 23 23:19:31 CET 2014

The error message is quite clear:  It says that you are missing
"curl-config" on your system:

 > checking for curl-config... no
 > Cannot find curl-config

On my Fedora system I would do:

yum whatprovides curl-config

and I would get:

libcurl-devel-7.24.0-2.fc17.x86_64 : Files needed for building
applications with libcurl

So I would then do:

sudo yum install libcurl-devel

I don't know what the appropriate syntax on Debian would be; on Ubuntu I
believe you say "aptget" rather than "yum".  Whatever; something similar
should be available to you.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

On 24/12/14 10:38, maxbre wrote:
> I must say I'm pretty new to Linux Debian and R so I might miss here
> reporting some relevant information (just in case, sorry for that!); I've
> been looking around the web and also onto this mailing list - and indeed
> this topic has been already covered-, but still I can't find any useful
> solution to my problem (so I just hope someone can help me somehow)
>
> by trying to install RCurl I got the following error message:
>
> #########################
> install.packages('RCurl')
> Installing package into ‘/home/max/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> provo con l'URL 'http://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/RCurl_1.95-4.5.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 878651 bytes (858 Kb)
> URL aperto
> downloaded 858 Kb
>
> * installing *source* package ‘RCurl’ ...
> ** package ‘RCurl’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> checking for curl-config... no
> Cannot find curl-config
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RCurl’
> * removing ‘/home/max/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/RCurl’

<SNIP>

--
Rolf Turner
Technical Editor ANZJS