[R] Cox model -missing data.

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at wlandres.net
Fri Dec 19 13:06:17 CET 2014

Yes, your basic reasoning is correct. In general, the observed variables
carry information about the variables with missing values, so (in some
way) the missing values can be replaced with estimates ("imputations")
and the standard regression method will then work as though the
replacements were there is the first place. To incorporate the inevitable
uncertainty about what the missing values really were, one approach
("multiple imputation") is to do the replacement many times over,
sampling the replacement values from a posterior distribution estimated
from the non-missing data. There are other approaches.

This is where the "many questions" kick in! I don't have time at the
moment, to go into further detail (there's a lot of it, and several
R packages which deal with missing data in different ways), but I hope
that someone can meanwhile point you in the right direction.

With best wishes,
Ted.