[R] Make 2nd col of 2-col df into header row of same df then adjust col1 data display

Chel Hee Lee chl948 at mail.usask.ca
Fri Dec 19 06:35:16 CET 2014

Please take a look at my code again.  The error message says that object
'Primary.Viol.Type' not found.  Have you ever created the object
'Primary.Viol.Type'?   It will be working if you replace
'Primary.Viol.Type' by 'PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original$Primary.Viol.Type'
where 'factor()' is used.  I hope this helps.

Chel Hee Lee

On 12/18/2014 08:57 PM, Crombie, Burnette N wrote:
> Chel, your solution is fantastic on the dataset I submitted in my question but it is not working when I import my real dataset into R.  Do I need to vectorize the columns in my real dataset after importing?  I tried a few things (###) but not making progress:
>
> MERGE_PViol.Detail.Per.Case <- read.csv("~/FOIA_FLSA/MERGE_PViol.Detail.Per.Case_for_rtf10.csv", stringsAsFactors=TRUE)
>
> ### select only certain columns
> PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original <- MERGE_PViol.Detail.Per.Case[,c("CaseID", "Primary.Viol.Type")]
>
> ### write.csv(PViol.Type.Per.Case,file="PViol.Type.Per.Case.Select.csv")
> ### PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original <- read.csv("~/FOIA_FLSA/PViol.Type.Per.Case.Select.csv")
> ### PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original$X <- NULL
> ###PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original[] <- lapply(PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original, as.character)
>
> PViol.Type <- c("CaseID",
>                  "BW.BackWages",
>                  "LD.Liquid_Damages",
>                  "MW.Minimum_Wage",
>                  "OT.Overtime",
>                  "RK.Records_FLSA",
>                  "V.Poster_Other",
>                  "AS.Age",
>                  "BW.WHMIS_BackWages",
>                  "HS.Hours",
>                  "OA.HazOccupationAg",
>                  "ON.HazOccupationNonAg",
>                  "R3.Reg3AgeOccupation",
>                  "RK.Records_CL",
>                  "V.Other")
>
> PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original$Primary.Viol.Type <- factor(Primary.Viol.Type, levels=PViol.Type, labels=PViol.Type)
>
> ### Error in factor(Primary.Viol.Type, levels = PViol.Type, labels = PViol.Type) :  object 'Primary.Viol.Type' not found
>
> tmp <- split(PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original,PViol.Type.Per.Case.Original$CaseID)
> ans <- ifelse(do.call(rbind, lapply(tmp, function(x)table(x$Primary.Viol.Type))), 1, NA)

>>> '1012281',
>>> '1015285',
>>> '1015285',
>>> '1007183',