[R] create matrices with constraint

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:06:34 CET 2014

Actually there are not so many matrices as you suggest.

> comb <- combn(28, 4)
> dim(comb)
[1]     4 20475
> sum(comb[1,]==1)
[1] 2925
> comb[, 1]
[1] 1 2 3 4

There are 20,475 combinations, but you cannot choose any four to make a 4x7 matrix since each value can be used only once. The combn() function returns the combinations sorted, so we can get the number of combinations that contain 1 with sum(comb[1,]==1) and that is 2,925. The set of 4x7 matrices cannot use the same combination more than once, so 2,925 is the maximum possible number of matrices and there may be fewer. As a first approach to finding them, you could take the first combination comb[, 1] which is 1, 2, 3, 4. Now add a second combination that does not include 1:4 and then a third combination that does not include any in the first two combinations and finally a fourth that does not include any in the first three combinations. Actually this is easy since we will just take 1:4, 5:8, 9:12, 13:16, 17:20, 21:24, 24:18.

> cols <- sapply(c(1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 24), function(x)
+  head(which(comb[1,]==x), 1))
> cols
[1]     1  9850 15631 18656 19981 20406 20471
> comb[,cols]
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6] [,7]
[1,]    1    5    9   13   17   21   24
[2,]    2    6   10   14   18   22   25
[3,]    3    7   11   15   19   23   26
[4,]    4    8   12   16   20   24   27

But now it gets more complicated. While building the second matrix, we have to make sure that it does not use any combinations that have already been used.  Combinations used on earlier matrices may be necessary to complete later matrices and that is why the number of sets may be less than 2,925. This sequential approach would guarantee to obtain matrices meeting the OP's criteria, but would not necessarily produce the maximum number of matrices possible.

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352