[R] Is there a plotmath symbol \mapsto?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 14:32:01 CET 2014

The only symbols plotmath has access to are those in the Adobe Symbol
encoding.  You can display all of those using the example at the bottom
of ?points, as ?plotmath did tell you.  (So it was a rather rich asking
for an example.)

It also tells you that on some devices/platforms you can use Unicode
escapes.

Now TeX (not LaTeX) does not define exactly which glyph \mapsto should
output, but Unicode \u21A6 is often called 'mapsto' (how Unicode glyphs
are rendered is font-specific, of course).  That works for me with
cairo-based devices on Linux; however on my Mac that glyph is not in the
standard fonts for Quartz-based devices.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK