[R] posterior probabilities from lda.predict

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Sun Aug 31 01:20:49 CEST 2014

Function predict.lda() is just answering a different question from the one you are posing. It is answering the question, given the values on this object what is the probability of membership in each of the groups used to construct the discriminant functions in the first place. Those probabilities sum to 1 and are generally called the posterior probabilities. Your question is somewhat different, if this object was a member of group x, what is the probability that it would have values like these. These are typicality probabilities (how typical is this observation in this group).

There are two ways to compute typicality probabilities. One is to use the reduced space defined by the discriminant functions and measure the distance of a new observation to the centroid of the group. This is the approach taken by SPSS which provides the typicality for the group which has the highest posterior probability. Huberty and Olejink recommend this procedure on the grounds that the probability distribution is known. The alternate approach which is used commonly in compositional analysis is to use Mahalanobis distance with the probability assumed to follow a chi square distribution. I am not aware of a package that has a function to produce either of these.

Huberty, Carl J. and Stephen Olejink. 2006. Applied Manova and Discriminant Analysis. Second Edition. Wiley-Interscience.

David L. Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University