[R] Question regarding the discrepancy between count model parameter estimates between "pscl" and "MASS"

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 20:36:07 CEST 2014

On Aug 29, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Nick Livingston wrote:

> Thank you for your responses.
>
> Since my previous attempt to manually truncate my DV didn't work, I'm very interested in trying again using the zerotrun() function. However, I attempted to install "countreg" but received the following notification:
>
>         Warning in install.packages :
>               unable to access index for repository http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0
>
>               package ‘countreg’ is available as a source package but not as a binary
>
>          Warning in install.packages :
>               package ‘countreg’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>
> I received the same message when attempting to install it in version 3.1.0, and the latest version, 3.1.1. Am I missing something?

Apparently understanding that R-forge is not CRAN.  If the package has any compiled code, then you need to have the proper tools installed. See the R-Mac-FAQ if those are needed. I generally download the source file and install from disk.

install.packages("~/countreg_0.1-1.tar.gz", repo=NULL, type="source")

(That reported success on a SL Mac R 3.1.0 machine. And there did not appear to be any compiled code so the Mac "tool chain" was not needed. The other way to check for that possibility is to look at the DESCRIPTION file.)

--
David.