[R] Conjoint Package

Vik Rubenfeld vik at vlr.cc
Fri Aug 29 18:30:52 CEST 2014

I’m very glad to see the Conjoint Package for R. The documentation for it does not appear to specify methods for data acquisition. Are the cards to be individually scored by each respondent (most clients would rather see a choice-based methodology)?

SurveyGizmo, an excellent online survey host which I use, has in beta a Conjoint question type. However, it does not appear to calculate respondent-level utility values at this time.

SurveyGizmo supports a conjoint question design in which each respondent is shown 3 cards at a time, and permitted to identify one of the three as Best, and one as Worst. (SG supports additional conjoint question designs as well).

Data acquired by SurveyGizmo conjoint looks like this for each respondent:

> Set #1
> Model Attribute	Model Value
> Price	$300
> Size	7"
> Memory	128 gb
> Score:	50
>
> Set #2
> Model Attribute	Model Value
> Price	$100
> Size	4"
> Memory	16 gb
> Score:	0
>
> Set #3
> Model Attribute	Model Value
> Price	$200
> Size	6"
> Memory	64 gb
> Score:	100
>
> Set #4
> Model Attribute	Model Value
> Price	$100
> Size	5"
> Memory	32 gb
> Score:	100
>
> Set #5
> Model Attribute	Model Value
> Price	$200
> Size	5"
> Memory	32 gb
> Score:	0

Score 100 = Best
Score 50 = Not selected
Score 0 = Worst

Is it possible to use the R-Project Conjoint Package with a data file like this, to calculate respondent-level utility values? In other words, are the scores (100, 50, 0) input that the Conjoint Package can use?

Thanks very much in advance to all for any info!

Best,

-Vik