[R] Issue with formula conversion

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Wed Aug 27 22:33:58 CEST 2014

do you have control over the external source?

if so, then something like

BlockFunction <- "pdComSymm"
ranEff1 <- "~Variety -1"

fm <- lme(yield ~ nitro, data=Oats,
random=list(Block=get(BlockFunction)(ranEff1)))

The above is untested.  An example if get() is
> get("sum")(1:4)
[1] 10

The main problem with David's solution, which does work, is the use
of the eval(parse()) idiom.  This is usually strongly discouraged.  See, for
example,

> fortunes::fortune(106)

If the answer is parse() you should usually rethink the question.
   -- Thomas Lumley
      R-help (February 2005)