[R] working with matrices

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 27 13:53:58 CEST 2014

Dear anna,

Unless the original matrix has a massive number of columns, why not just use loops? R programmers often have an unnecessary phobia of loops, and will puzzle over a programming problem for hours that can be solved by loops in seconds.

You don't say what specifically you want to do, but, for example:

> f <- function(X){
+   nc <- ncol(X)
+   Y <- matrix(0, nc, nc)
+   for (i in 1:(nc - 1)){
+     for (j in (i+1):nc){
+       Y[i, j] <- sum(X[, i] * X[, j])
+     }
+   }
+   return(Y)
+ }

> (A <- matrix(1:12, 4, 3))
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    5    9
[2,]    2    6   10
[3,]    3    7   11
[4,]    4    8   12

> f(A)
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    0   70  110
[2,]    0    0  278
[3,]    0    0    0

The example is artificial, since it just computes part of the matrix product,

> upper.tri(diag(3)) * (t(A) %*% A)
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    0   70  110
[2,]    0    0  278
[3,]    0    0    0

but it has the structure that you outlined (if I understand it correctly).

For a moderate number of columns (you don't say how many you have), the computation isn't prohibitively slow:

> B <- matrix(rnorm(1e5), 100, 1000)
> system.time(f(B))
   user  system elapsed
   4.12    0.01    4.15