[R] NA's introduced by coercion

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 08:01:26 CEST 2014

On Aug 26, 2014, at 9:56 PM, madhvi.gupta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am applyin function as.numeric to a vector having many values as NA and it is giving :
> Warning message:
> NAs introduced by coercion
>
> Can anyone help me to know how to remove this warning and sor it out?

You are the one that needs to identify the cause of hte warning: look at the difference in console output for these two examples:

> as.numeric( c("a", 1, NA_character_) )
[1] NA  1 NA
Warning message:
NAs introduced by coercion

> as.numeric( c("2", 1, NA_character_) )
[1]  2  1 NA

So it is not the NA's in that character vector but rather values that were coerce to NA because the conversion could not be accomplished.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA