[R] Preventing loading of user packages

Brian Diggs brian.s.diggs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:25:20 CEST 2014

On 8/25/2014 2:08 PM, Jonathon Love wrote:

> hey,
>
> i was able to solve the problem by explicitly putting
>
> R_LIBS_USER=''
>
> in the /etc/Renviron file (it isn't enough simply to comment the entry
> out, because it has a default value that magically comes from
> somewhere else)

It is worth pointing out that what you have done is removed the personal
library from the default list of libraries. So when loading a library,
it won't be found in a (the) personal library. However, a user can
circumvent this easily if they wish, either by adding a directory to the
library path list via .libPaths() or by specifying lib.loc in a call to
library() (or a variety of other ways). In other words, a user can still
"load[...] user packages" with a little additional effort. For your use
case, this may be sufficient. But I didn't want you to have the
impression that this made it impossible to load additional packages.

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery