[R] bam (mgcv) not using the specified number of cores

Andrew Crane-Droesch andrewcd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:05:01 CEST 2014

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried to reproduce the error, but I don't
know how to show output from `top` any other way than to attach
screenshots, so please excuse that.

I'm attaching screenshots of what happens when I run with two and three
cores.  In the former, it seems to be working on one core, and in the
latter, it appears to be working on three.  When reproducing the error,
I'm getting odd behavior that isn't entirely consistent -- sometimes it
"behaves" and operates on the asked-for number of cores, and other times
not.

I'm also attaching a screenshot showing terminal output from a remote
cluster when I run my full model (N=67K) rather than a subset (N=7K) --
I get that error "Error in qr.qty(qrx, f) : right-hand side should have
60650 not 118451 rows ..."  I suppose this is a memory overload
problem?  Any suggestions on how to get bam to not call for more memory
than the node has available would be welcome, though I suspect that is a
supercomputing problem rather than a R problem.

Thanks,
Andrew

sessionInfo() for local machine:
1> sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.2 (2013-09-25)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] parallel  stats     graphics  grDevices utils datasets  methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] mgcv_1.7-26  nlme_3.1-111

[1] grid_3.0.2      lattice_0.20-23 Matrix_1.1-4
1>