[R] Making my own graphics device

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 23:07:47 CEST 2014

On Aug 17, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Thomas Levine wrote:

> I want to make my own graphics device am thus looking for
> documentation about graphics devices.
>
> The only thing I've found so far is these directions for
> making graphics devices with the RGraphicsDevice package.
> http://www.omegahat.org/RGraphicsDevice/
>
> Could someone point me to any other resources? Or just
> some documentation about how to edit base R? If I don't
> get anything, I'm just going to stare at the grDevices
> section of the R source code (src/library/grDevices/src)
> until I figure out how it works.
>
> In case you're curious, I want to make a graphics device
> that saves the graph in Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPGL

I went out searching and thought I had found an answer in the archives, but I see it was authored by you, so it must not have been entirely satisfactory:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.r-project.r-help+hpgl#query:list%3Aorg.r-project.r-help%20hpgl+page:1+mid:sxly4345y6tbj4dw+state:results

I also saw the suggestion from Koenker. The current holder of the rights to the S language (at least on PC's)  would be TIBCO. They do list the acronym `hpgl` on one page in the S+ documentation, but it is in the "deprecated functions" section (p 39):

http://www.uni-koeln.de/themen/statistik/software/s/v81/functionguide.pdf

Good luck.

--

David Winsemius