[R] unable to use functions require DLL from package

Charlotte de Vries lotte.devries2 at student.uva.nl
Fri Aug 15 23:56:30 CEST 2014

David Winsemius <dwinsemius <at> comcast.net> writes:

> On Aug 15, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Charlotte de Vries wrote:
>
> > Hey there!
> >
> > I'm having problems with the same code, but I get a different error:
>
> This is apparently yet another example demonstrating why the Posting Guide
suggests that you include the
> text of any earlier posting to which you want us to consider. At the
moment I see no posting that has this subject.

> > Error in .C("spline_coef", method = as.integer(method), n = n, x =
> > as.double(x),  :
> >  "spline_coef" not available for .C() for package "stats"
> >

> > I'm using R3.1.0 on windows 8 and I've never used R before, so I might
have
> > made some terrible newby error (I have programmed quite a bit before,
but in C
> > and Matlab).
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Best,
>
> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA

Hi David,

Thank you for answering. The original message I replied to was this message
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/113245):

Hi all,

I have issues using some basic functions in R such as these ones :

> pp.test(R) (where is a vector of returns)
Error in .C("R_approx", as.double(x), as.double(y), as.integer(nx), xout =
as.double(xout),  :
  C symbol name "R_approx" not in DLL for package "base"

>boxcox(reg,plotit=T)  (where reg is an lm object)
Error in .C("spline_coef", method = as.integer(method), n = as.integer(nx),
:
  C symbol name "spline_coef" not in DLL for package "base"

as I do miss some symbol names.

How can I overcome this serious problem ?
***********************************

But someone else reported a very similar problem (oddly enough using the
same function spline_coef but this time from the package stats rather than
base (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/115420):

************************************
Subject: Missing "spline_coef" DLL and Rob Hyndmans monotonic	interpolator

Hello R help

I have been trying to use Rob Hyndman's monotonically increasing spline
function.  But like another user or two seem have a problem with a
missing DLL (namely "spline_coef").  None of the previous help postings
seemed to have any solutions to this problem.  As per a Ripley
suggestion I have deleted all previous versions of R and reinstalled R
2.7.0 and the problem persists.

Thanks

Paul.

x <- seq(0,4,l=20)

y <- sort(rnorm(20))

plot(x,y)
lines(spline(x, y, n = 201), col = 2) # Not necessarily monotonic
lines(cm.spline(x, y, n = 201), col = 3)
>Error in .C("spline_coef", method = as.integer(method), n = nx, x = x,
:
        C symbol name "spline_coef" not in DLL for package "stats"

Cm.spline code from
http://www-personal.buseco.monash.edu.au/~hyndman/Rlibrary/interpcode.R

I hope that helps, thank you :)! I've tried calling spline_coef from both
stats and base, but I get the same error for both packages. I've also tried
the solution suggested to these people, which was to remove any other R
versions on my laptop.

Best,
Lotte