[R] Old g++ in Rtools

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 15:03:36 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Rguy <rguy at 123mail.org> wrote:
> I recently downloaded Rtools. I see the g++ version is
> gcc version 4.6.3 20111208 (prerelease) (GCC)
>
> I also recently downloaded MinGW. Its version of g++ is
> gcc version 4.8.1 (GCC)
>
> I believe that later versions of g++ provide better support for C++11.
> Why does Rtools provide a version considerably older than the latest?
> Any plans to update the version?
> Is it bad practice to compile with a later version when interfacing with R?

Later versions of gcc/g++ also support openmp which 4.6.3 does not.

There may be other C/C++ packages too that can't be used until with
Rtools until it is upgraded to a more recent version.

By the way, there is a MinGW 4.8.2 distribution (slightly more recent
than the one you downloaded) here:
http://nuwen.net/mingw.html

--
Statistics & Software Consulting