[R] Normal probability plot examples for Wikipedia (was "qqnorm with histogram?")

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:55:17 CEST 2014

Not that I want to get deeply involved with this, but techniques that allow you to take the random variation of the plots into account are badly needed in practice. I mean, running qqnorm(rnorm(10)) a dozen times _ought_ to cure you of overinterpreting plots that are not bang-on a straight line but have apparent curvature, outliers, etc., but tell that to students these days...

Confidence bands would be good to include. Various techniques are in circulation; I believe John Fox implemented one for Rcmdr/car. I seem to recall that these are based on the binomial distribution or its asymptotic approximation.

If you are qqnorm()-in residuals, the theory for constructing CI's for the normal plot breaks down and you need to resort to simulation techniques, e.g. something like

> Y <-  rgamma(10, 5)
> qqnorm(scale(Y))
> for (i in 1:10) lines(qqnorm(sort(scale(rnorm(10))),plot=FALSE), col="lightgray")

-pd