[R] The explanation of ns() with df =2

Xing Zhao zhaoxing at uw.edu
Wed Apr 16 06:10:42 CEST 2014

Dear John

Sorry I use 3 degree of freedom for  cubic spline. After using 4, it
is still not 2. I may make some naive mistake, but I cannot figure
out. Where is the problem?

4 (cubic on the right side of the *interior* knot 8)
+ 4 (cubic on the left side of the *interior* knot 8)
- 1 (two curves must be continuous at the *interior* knot 8)
- 1 (two curves must have 1st order derivative continuous at the
*interior* knot 8)
- 1 (two curves must have 2nd order derivative continuous at the
*interior* knot 8)
- 1 (right side cubic curve must have 2nd order derivative = 0 at the
boundary knot 15 due to the linearity constraint)
- 1 (similar for the left)
= 3, not 2

Thanks
Xing