[R] Read.table mucks up headers

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Mon Apr 14 17:53:25 CEST 2014

> But for some reason my first header comes as "?...X. ", instead of just "X".
> Can some one please tell me why? And how to fix it?

i) What were the separator characters in the original data file header row?
ii) Your first character is not being decoded properly; check the file encoding and set accordingly?
iii) See if the offending first character(s) can sensibly be stripped before reading the file?

S Ellison

This email and any attachments are confidential. Any use, copying or
disclosure other than by the intended recipient is unauthorised. If
immediately via +44(0)20 8943 7000 or notify postmaster at lgcgroup.com
and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.
LGC Limited. Registered in England 2991879.
Registered office: Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 0LY, UK