[R] R, RStudio, and a server for my iPad.

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Fri Apr 11 23:23:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM, John Sorkin
<JSorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu> wrote:
> I bemoan the fact that I can not run R or Rstudio on my iPad.

I feel like this is something I'm not missing much, at all, but
different strokes ... :-)

> A possible work around would be to set up a server (probably under Linux), and get the server to present a web page that to would allow me to run R on the server. I have searched the web for a clear, simple answer on how to do this but can not find one. There are answers, but not for someone who has not built a Linux server. Can someone provide either a reference to, or a short explanation of how I can build the server, get R or RStudio to run on it, and get the server and its R or RStudio program available to me on my iPad? I can probably find guidance on how to build an Apache server under Linux.

You might try to follow the instructions to get RStudio Server running:

https://www.rstudio.com/ide/docs/server/getting_started

It seems like they have packages built for many popular linux distros:

https://www.rstudio.com/ide/download/server

Once your linux server is set up, you should be able to access the
server with any client via a web browser, although I have no idea if
any of the iOS browsers are up to the task of dealing with the RStudio
web interface, but you can try and find out. RStudio's support forum
is more likely to be helpful here, for instance:

https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=✓&query=ios&commit=Search

HTH,
-steve

--