[R] pre-allocation not always a timesaver

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Apr 2 08:45:48 CEST 2014

I don't think you got a response to this one;

    x <- array(dim=(c(j, n)))
    for (i in 1:n) {
        x[,i] <- rnorm(j)
    }

Note that array() allocates a logical array by default, which means
that in your first iteration (i==1) it has to be coerced to a double
array before assigning the value of rnorm(). That takes time. It also
takes time to garbage collect the "stray" logical array afterward.
Using,

    x <- array(NA_real_, dim=(c(j, n)))
    for (i in 1:n) {
        x[,i] <- rnorm(j)
    }

avoids this.

For updating list elements, you can avoid repetitive overhead from $<-
and $ by replacing:

   a$myx <- array(dim=c(j, n))
    for (i in 1:n) {
       a$myx[,i] <- rnorm(j)