[R] FW: Library update from version

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Mon Sep 30 23:53:51 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Ista Zahn <istazahn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Steve Lianoglou
> <lianoglou.steve at gene.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Cem Girit <girit at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>>                 I recently installed version 3.0.1 of R on to a computer. I
>>> have a working installation for a Statconn application using R version
>>> 2.15.0 on another computer. I have many libraries under this old
>>> installation. Can I just copy them into the new library from the old, or do
>>> I install each one of them under the new R?
>>
>> No, you shouldn't do that.
>
> Really? Why not?

Because it has been my experience that people *just* do that (ie. the
*just* copy the libraries, as the OP asked).

But as you correctly point out:

> Note that the Windows upgrade FAQ
> (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#What_0027s-the-best-way-to-upgrade_003f)
> says to do exactly that.

There is a way to copy the old package and then ensure that they are
updated to the versions that build correctly on the newest version of
R.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou