[R] Memory distribution using foreach

pakoun pkount at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Fri Sep 27 22:48:57 CEST 2013

Dear R users,
I am struggling with memory issues and try to understand a few things. I am
using an LSF cluster with PGI compiler and parallel mpi2 computing (whatever
does that means..) and i submit a job like:

bsub -R "rusage[mem=30000]" -q queue -n 24 R CMD BATCH <arguments..>
myjob.r ..log

According to that I am asking for 24 cores and 30GB RAM.

Then I am using
library(doMC)
registerDoMC(24)

and a foreach loop either simple or nested with the %dopar% command.

 1.  this 30 GB will be distributed among the 24 jobs or each will take 30?
 2. If i dont ask the -n 24 argument still the foreach loop will run in
parallel as i check with TOP command. What is the purpose of using it? Just
to "reserve" the nodes from other users?

Thank you