[R] table of contents link style in R's PDF docs

Ben Harrison harb at student.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Sep 27 08:10:09 CEST 2013

On 27/09/13 00:33, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 25/09/2013 11:38 PM, Ben Harrison wrote:
>> Hello,

> It's been the way it is for about 14 years, and I don't recall anyone
> else complaining, so I'd conclude it must have been set that way with
> you in mind.

Ah-hah, I knew it! I *am* special.

> More seriously, I prefer having the page number clickable to having just
> the text clickable.  Having both would be fine for both of us. There's a
> partially documented option "linktoc=all" that does that; it was added
> to the hyperref package in 2008, so you can hardly blame R for not using
> it back in 1999.

(Just to be clear, I didn't. I only heard of R last year. One reason I
make so much use of the docs :) )

The only problem I can see with using it now is that
> some users might not have a sufficiently up-to-date LaTeX installation
> to use it; if their hyperref package doesn't know about linktoc, they
> won't be able to build anything at all.

(Easy, tell them to upgrade!)

>> Can I recreate all the documentation on my system after I make a change
>> to Rd.sty?
>
> Easiest would be to just do a rebuild of R, but you could also do the
> PDF manuals one at a time using
>
> R CMD Rd2pdf  <pkg>
>
> from the directory where the package is installed, or where its source
> lives.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

When you say 'easiest would be to just do a rebuild of R' I have no idea
if we are using the same language. Easy to me is like scratching my
beard (but only with my right hand), or looking out the window, or
staying in bed when the alarm goes off.

I've made the change in Rd.sty, so at least all packages I install from
now on will have the text links (I guess). Thanks for the response Duncan.

Ben.