[R] Slight misinformation in OSX version of R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 25 23:47:13 CEST 2013

On 25/09/2013 22:29, Ben Bolker wrote:
> Erich Neuwirth <erich.neuwirth <at> univie.ac.at> writes:
>

>> I just installed R on a Mac without any traces of earlier versions.
>> It exhibited a well know problem:

Not 'well known' (sic) at all: most of us do not break our OS X.  We
don't have reproduction instructions (see the posting guide), but I bet
this is from R.app and not R (see below).  R.app is a separate project
with separate maintainers.

>> WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII
>>   characters will work.
>> Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and
>> adjust your system preferences accordingly.
>>
>> The information needed is in section 7, not in section 9.
>>

>    You should probably post this to r-devel, where it is slightly
> more likely that an R-core member will see it and fix the docs.
> (Small fixes like this are apparently preferred on R-devel to
> in the R bug tracker .)

But actually R-sig-mac for issues with R.app: see the posting guide.  (I
don't think it is the docs which need fixing, but R.app itself. And that
string is translated, so the translations need changing too.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk