[R] Installing R, R packages

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Tue Sep 24 07:15:47 CEST 2013

All,

Consider this attempt:
> install.packages("car")
trying URL
'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 1.1 Mb

car/data/Rdata.rdb: Truncated tar archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

The downloaded binary packages are in

/var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/downloaded_packages
Warning messages:
1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
  downloaded length 1126960 != reported length 1326903
2: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1

This seems to be happening frequently at the cran berkeley site. I've also
had students try to install R from the Berkeley site and it just doesn't
work for them.

I had another student tell me today he tried all sorts of mirrors and could
not get R and knitr installed until he tried the Washington site.

Is there some sort of corruption going on at the CRAN mirrors?

D.