[R] Arcsine transformation

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 03:45:45 CEST 2013

On 13-09-22 09:25 PM, Peter Alspach wrote:
> Tena koe
>
> I think you'll find the arcsine transformation is asin(sqrt(x/100))
> where × is the percentage.  However, it might be better to ask
> whether the data wouldn't be better analysed using generalised models
> (e.g., glm).
>
> HTH ....

  Good point about arcsine-sqrt, and about GLMs: specifically see

Warton, David I., and Francis K. C. Hui. 2011. “The Arcsine Is Asinine:
The Analysis of Proportions in Ecology.” Ecology 92 (1) (January): 3–10.
doi:10.1890/10-0340.1.
http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-0340.1.

  I think the title is a little silly, but it's worth reading.