[R] time zones from longitude, latitude, and date

Fri Sep 20 19:13:23 CEST 2013

If you make no further assumptions then this question is not solvable. For example we use standard time in our data collection systems even though legal time here applies daylight savings offset in the summer. In some cases I have seen data collected from sites in multiple time zones recorded in one data base with a single time zone.
Even if you do assume local legal time applies in all cases, the boundaries of the time zones have changed over time. There exist time zone maps (e.g. http://efele.net/maps/tz/world/) that you could assume apply but I am not aware of any in CRAN. Someone on r-sig-geo might be able to help.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing