[R] on how to make a skip-table

gildororonar at mail-on.us gildororonar at mail-on.us
Wed Sep 18 04:09:32 CEST 2013

Quoting "Zhang Weiwu" <zhangweiwu at realss.com>:

> Jim Holtman asked me to elaborate the problem:
>
>     It is a common problem in reading sparse variable-lenght record data
>     file.  Records are stored in file one next to another. The length of
>     each record is known in advance, but a lot of them records are invalid,
>     and should be skipped to make efficient use of memory.
>
>     Ideally the datafile-reading routine should receive a skip-table. Before
>     reading each wanted/valid record, it seeks forward for the distance
>     given in the skip-table. The problem is how to obtain such a skip table.

Ideally, in C, yes, you need to calculate the steps, because you use a
pointer.

Jim Holtman asks what you intend to do, I guess because he sees the
problem may a different solution in R.

What you need is not a skip-table, but a offset table, and you skip
from the begining to the offset directly, not from the previous
position.

e.g. instead of skip-1, skip-3, skip-5, skip-7
you should do: offset-1, offset-4, offset-9, offset-15

Consider the skip-table is about the reverse of cumsum, and is harder
to achieve, you should start with offset-table.

VFEmail.net - http://www.vfemail.net
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!