[R] is it possible to install R packages without admin rights on a work station

Daniel Hornung daniel.hornung at ds.mpg.de
Mon Sep 16 10:55:23 CEST 2013

On Monday, September 16, 2013 09:01:03 Charles Thuo wrote:
>  How can a person in a controlled environment install additional R
> packages..
>
> Charles.

Hello Charles,

a slight variation of what Rolf wrote, this is my setup:

in my ~/.Rprofile (which is read at R's startup), I set the R_LIBS_USER
variable like so:

R_LIBS_USER=~/.local/share/R/libs

Of course you may vary the exact path according to your liking.  Another
helpful option I found is the follwoing, if you decide you like a specific
repository best (to avoid the selection dialog): in your ~/.Rprofile, add this
line:

options(repos=structure(c(CRAN="http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/")))

(Use the repo which is fastest for you).

HTH,
Daniel

--
Max-Planck-Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
Laboratory for Fluid Dynamics, Pattern Formation and Biocomplexity

Am Fassberg 17
D-37077 Goettingen

(+49) 551 5176 373